Friday, October 28, 2016

Mock Baked Oatmeal Recipe


When the weather turns cold my breakfast turns hot and sustains me until lunch time.  I love baked oatmeal but when I'm read to eat I don't want to wait for something to bake so I came up with this quick dish.  

I start with (my homemade cranberry) granola and pour (almond or whatever milk you like) milk over it just to barely cover it.  Then I nuke it for a minute.  The milk will be absorbed into the oats.

While that is cooking, chop a couple of apples and saute in a small amount of butter,  add a handful of walnuts and sprinkle with cinnamon, stir until coated.  I always make more and have some for the next day.  Cook until desired tenderness and top granola with a few spoonfuls of this apple nut mixture.  Your home will smell like you've been baking apple pies!

The sauteed apples can be heated later and topped with Greek yogurt then a sprinkling of granola, as a healthy dessert, or another breakfast option.  They are also great cold (keep refrigerated until ready to use) I also just made a wonderful kale salad using the apples and dried cranberries with a olive oil and balsamic vinegar dressing.  Having cooked apples on hand makes me think of different creative ways to use them.

It's fall y'all !  Eat what's in season, and take it to a health new level.










No comments:

Post a Comment