Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Great Pumpkin Challenge


I'm a nature lover and use natural materials over the fake alternatives.  My way is naturally beautiful and biodegradable.  Yes, I spend money every year on decor but I also support the small farmers in my area.  

When my eldest son was visiting he commented on how delicious those pumpkins are roasted.  He and his friends ate some that they threw on the hot coals of a camp fire and roasted.  So the day after Thanksgiving I brought them in  and put them in the basement to store them.  They usually just end up in my compost pile.


I cut the white one open today and it is by far the meatiest pumpkin I've ever encountered.  It took some time and muscle just to cut it open.  I thought I would just cut it and roast it for dinner but there was so much of it that I made pumpkin, potato soup and it's delicious.  



I made 2 big pots of the soup and still have this much leftover (below).  I'm freezing soup, and taking some to my parents.  I was thinking how it would be a great way to get our small town "Home of the Pumpkin Vine Nature Trail" to come together and have a community outreach/contest to see how many pumpkins we can make into food for a homeless shelter, or to feed the school children.  We have to teach them how delicious vegetables can be!  Something we can all work on for next year.
If you have any great recipes for pumpkin besides pie and soup, please share your ideas.  If you want to try my soup recipe here it is:

Halloween Pumpkin Soup!

10 pounds of pumpkin cut into chunks
2 white potatoes also cut into chunks
2 white onions chopped
2 carrots chopped
thyme
chicken stock or water


Sauté the onions and add the carrots and cook for a few minutes, then add the pumpkin and the stock.  I had one quart of stock and added enough water to cover the squash.  Add salt and pepper and a teaspoon of thyme.  Cook until soft.  Let cool for a little while then process in a food processor.  Top the soup with roasted pumpkin seeds to serve.















No comments:

Post a Comment